Thursday, October 15, 2009

Try!

Well in America it might be "Touchdown" but since the game here is rugby I thought we'd adapt our title appropriately. We arrived in Auckland on time but sans one big purple backpack. Qantas wasn't sure where it was but said they would track it down. Since we were going to be in the area and there wasn't anything critical in it, we're not overly worried. Unlike the band that flew with us which was supposed to be playing the next night and didn't have their microphones. We shared our string cheese with them since we thought customs might take it away anyway. Turns out the inspector just looked at the skinny tubes of white cheese in plastic and said "This must be from the States." It's still pretty amazing realizing we got on a big metal tube, ate dinner, slept, had breakfast, and poof we're on the other side of the world!

We picked up our rental car and dove into the adventure of driving on the left side of the road! We were lucky to be able to get an automatic so that I had one less thing to keep track of. Everytime we did any turning, I'd tell Megan out loud which direction I was going and which lane (hugging the curb for left and across traffic for right) I was going to head for. Since the driver is on the right side of the car, there are all sorts of little things to get used to. Instead of looking right for the rear view mirror, it is left. I kept trying to signal my lane changes with my windshield wipers until I realized that the turn signal was on my left not my right. Roundabouts go the opposite direction and everytime a car comes over a hill at us on the right side of the road my heartrate spikes a little! Needless to say, we're not checking out very much scenery when we're driving yet.

Megan did a great job navigating to Mike's place, our contact in Auckland. He gave us plenty of suggestions of places to go on both islands and even put us in contact with some other Kiwis. Mike took us on a tiki-tour of Auckland's One Tree Hill and waterfront. There were several of these green hills scattered around the city. They (and the rest of New Zealand) were formed by volcanic action. We shared a wonderful dinner of lamb chops, potatoes, asparagrus, and salad and capped the evening off with watching a rugby game. When Megan asked why they don't wear pads, Mike said grinningly - Well we're not like those American pussycats. Megan and I have been amazed at the hospitality that he and his wife Linda have shown.

Photo above is from top of One Tree Hill.
The hill was a park but also pasture with sheep roaming all over.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kids,

    It's so much fun to see the pictures and hear of your unease with left-side driving. Brings back memories of Ireland. My job as passenger was to yell, "Go left!" We found our brains adjusted quite quickly. Good luck getting your backpack soon.

    Love,
    MomO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys ARE on the other side of the world! And on the other side of the road. Doug and I experienced that last month in Ireland. It was truly stimulating! (Worst thing for me was crossing the street; I never got used to cars coming from the 'wrong' direction.)

    Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    Kris Westrum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you guys arrived well and are having a good time, glad to hear it!

    DRIVING:

    Oh boy, I still break out in a cold sweat whenever I approach a roundabout here in the US until I remember

    a) It's only one little circle with 4 exits and not 3 intersecting circles with 8 lanes and 17 exits

    b) It's not going going the "wrong" way round :-) like in the UK

    And then I go phiew and relax.

    RUGBY:

    Can you ask Mike to explain to you what kind of interesting body alterations like cauliflower ears those rugby players enjoy and then in turn tell me, if American Football (vs Football) players in the US also enjoy those mutations :-) (Had a bit of fling with a rugby player way back when you see...)

    Oh, I was going to share something with you, that I just saw and that made me thing of you, who knows there might be something useful.

    http://www.bravenewtraveler.com/2008/07/28/25-ways-to-earn-money-when-youre-broke-on-the-road/

    ReplyDelete