Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Another quick update from a library in Waihi

Mike and Linda have put us in touch with a bunch of their mates around the island. They've been fantastic and have become our "home base" while we're here. We freshened up (shower/laundry/sleeping in a bed) on Tuesday before a wonderful dinner with them before heading off again Wednesday morning.

We're sprinting south to Wellington to take the ferry to Picton to drive to Christchurch to get there in time to go whitewater paddling on Nov 1. It's a little sad having to fly by and not spend as much time exploring as we'd like to but we plan to come back to the North Island later to do more exploring.

On one of our stops, I decided to try snorkeling and look for mussels. As I climbed back out, Megan noticed pools of blood on the rocks at my feet. I'd cut them up on the rocks/shells. It took 5 bandaids to cover the cuts on my feet and a few on my hand. Lesson learned though.

After the kayaking, one of Mike and Linda's mates said we could stop by where he'll be doing tailing - putting rings on the lambs tails so that they eventually fall off. We're looking forward to helping with the operation.

It's been a little tough to keep the blog updated with all the things we're doing so I think it will turn into something of these quick updates along with occassional recaps that include photos. It's fun to realize people are keeping up with our travels so it's fun to share what we're doing.

2 comments:

  1. It is so fun to feel like you've just "been there" when there is a new posting! I'm assuming you are able to read these comments. Love you both! Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know about Kruse? It is something you can download onto a GPS to get a tour guide sort of thing about NZ?
    Do you know that there is a glacier in NZ? I saw in theREI catalogue. It is called the Franz Josef Glacier. I didn't know that there would be anything cold enough in NZ to support a glacier.

    ReplyDelete