Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Clowning Around

As we drove around, we stopped along the way to check out the small towns. One of them happened to have a playground and I couldn't resist having a go at some of the spots. This one was sort of a cup that you could sit in, pump your legs and torso like on a swing, and it set you spinning. Or at least I think that's what you're supposed to do? I got it going pretty fast and Megan made me stop when she said my face was turning red.

In Whangarei (Oct 20) we stopped for a picnic in the park and hiked to the falls where I decided I had to go for a swim. The water was a bit chilly so I drew a lot of stares from the other tourists. It was incredible looking up at the falls from below and swimming away on my back.









The flowers and plants here are quite different from those we're used to in Minnesota. We've taken pictures of a few of them. On each of the hikes we go on, we are often stopping to admire the ferns, flowers, and trees. It is impressive how quickly outside of Auckland there is a natural feel to the land (vs. the suburbs that sprawl from Minneapolis).



3 comments:

  1. Maybe we need to get you swim trunks that say something like: Usually I have to hack a hole in the ice before I go for a swim :-)

    The flora is gorgeous! I understand your wonder. I have the same excitement though more with animals that I don't know from where I grew up, like porcupines which I NEVER expected to find in a TREE of all places! (No wonder I never saw one until someone pointed on out to me :-)

    On to your next post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This website is way wonderful! I just found the map of where people are who are viewing it, and I REALLY appreciate the clock on it. It appears your DST starts at a different times than ours. The pictures are great, and I can picture your chuckles as you tried the "swing"
    Much love to you both! Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, one of the reasons we love you is that you are a seven-year-old at heart. Keep spinning (until Meg tells you to stop)! Thanks for the beautiful flower photos. With our continuing gray skies and brown landscape, they remind us that somewhere it is spring.

    MomO

    ReplyDelete